Update (March 2017) – Here’s what I have been up to:
- New Blog Post (just for fun) on my favorite urban legend, The Roanoke Phantom
- New Updates to Public History Norrath, including a story on Ultima Online.
- Published two peer-reviewed articles in the past few months:
- “The Edith Lett Papers: The Federal Writers’ Project, West Virginia, and the Everyman Writer” in West Virginia History (link can be found here)
- “‘A good base ball club is a splendid advertisement to a town’: Baseball and the New South in Clifton Forge, Virginia” in the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
Spontaneous Protest & Talk-Back Boards: Blog #14, November 16, 2016
- Some jumbled thoughts on talk-back boards, spontaneous protest, and the meaning of post-it notes
On College Football Athletes as “Kids”: Blog #13, October 20, 2016
- A brief article on a pet peeve of mine – when college football coaches refer to players as “kids.”
What I’ve Been Up To: Text Mining: Blog #12, January 15, 2016
- A brief update on my dissertation research as I enter the home stretch. Includes some discussion of word clouds and topic extraction.
Disappointment in Pittsburgh: How the Pirates Ditched Pittsburgh’s Negro Leagues Past: Blog #10, October 12, 2015
- Update: Article was picked up by the New Pittsburgh Courier. Cool.
A Confederate on Campus: Nathan Bedford Forrest as MTSU’s Mascot: Blog #9, August 25, 2015
- Article I wrote for the Sport in American History blog. Posted on my own blog here
- Overview of MTSU’s past association with Confederate imagery, specifically former KKK-leader and overall terrible person Nathan Bedford Forrest. A call for MTSU to finally rid campus of the final public attachment to this “heritage,” Forrest Hall.
Forgotten Spaces of Norrath: Why We Need a History of Digital Spaces: Blog #7, May 21, 2015
- A visual tour of abandoned digital space in one of my favorite games, Everquest II
- A brief call for historians and publishers to consider the role of history in MMO gaming
Goodman and Ribbitribbit: How MMO Communities Memorialize: Blog #6, April 28, 2015
- Overview and analysis of in-game memorials to real-life individuals in various MMO games
- Some thoughts on how to save these worlds and in-game memorials from fading away